[Vandal] Homecoming 2021

robiegruss at aol.com robiegruss at aol.com
Mon Oct 4 09:53:38 PDT 2021

  Homecoming 2021

 Celebrates a

 Century of

 “Vandals”

  MOSCOW, Idaho — Don Monson, the winningest coach in the history of University of Idaho basketball and a U of I alumnus, will return to his alma mater to serve as the grand marshal for the 2021 Homecoming Parade Saturday, Oct. 9.

Homecoming festivities run Sunday through Saturday, Oct. 3-9, a week that also features the grand opening of the Idaho Central Credit Union (ICCU) Arena and launch of the “Brave. Bold. A Promise to Idaho Students.” campaign.

“This is a Vandal Family reunion that offers something for everyone,” said Kathy Barnard, assistant vice president for alumni relations and advancement communications. “Homecoming is always an amazing celebration of all things Vandal, and this year, we have even more to celebrate.”

Monson graduated in 1955 after lettering four times for the Vandal men’s basketball team. Inducted into the Vandal Athletics Hall of Fame in 2007, he is celebrated for guiding the basketball program to its first NCAA tournament in 1980-81 and advancing to the Sweet 16 in 1981-82. Monson led the team to an impressive 100-41 record over five seasons.

“Coming back to Moscow and the University of Idaho as part of Homecoming is something special,” Monson said. “To be part of the new basketball arena grand opening ceremony is an honor and a privilege. The fact that I played my college basketball in Memorial Gym, coached in the Kibbie Dome, and now we have a first-class basketball facility makes me extremely proud.”

The ribbon-cutting for the ICCU Arena — a first-of-its-kind, engineered mass-timber facility — is set for 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 8. Immediately following is the first official event to take place in the arena, the kickoff of the “Brave. Bold. A Promise to Idaho’s Students.” campaign.

Homecoming 2021 marks 100 years since the official nickname of “Vandals” was widely adopted for Idaho athletics teams. In 1917, Argonaut reporter Jazz McCarty coined the moniker “Vandals” for the basketball team’s prowess on the court. The pre-game write-up notes, “the opening game with Whitman will mark a new epoch in Idaho basketball history, for the present gang of ‘Vandals’ have the best material that has ever carried the “I” into action.” Later in 1921, a push to make the nickname permanent paid off. U of I is the only higher education institution in the country with the Vandals handle, which influenced the creation of the Joe Vandal mascot in 1956.
 Homecoming ActivitiesTODAY - Monday, Oct. 4
    2 p.m. — Vandalize Moscow window painting competition, downtown Moscow
    Food drive bags will be distributed by student teams throughout Moscow

Tuesday through Thursday, Oct. 5-7
    10 a.m. — 72nd annual blood drive, TLC First Floor Lounge

Thursday, Oct. 7
    Food drive collection by student teams throughout Moscow
    6 p.m. — Vandal Volleyball vs. University of Montana, Memorial Gym

Friday, Oct. 8
    Living group decorations contest and display, campus-wide
    5 p.m. — ICCU Arena Ribbon Cutting and “Brave. Bold. A Promise to Idaho’s Students.” campaign kickoff, ICCU Arena
    6:30 p.m. — Vandal Rally with live music, food and beverages, ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center parking lot
    8 p.m. — Serpentine, bonfire and royalty crowning, beginning at the golf course and ending at the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center parking lot
    9:15 p.m. — ICCU and Best Western Plus University Inn Fireworks Extravaganza, ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center parking lot

Saturday, Oct. 9
    10 a.m. to 1 p.m. — ICCU Arena tours, ICCU Arena
    10 a.m. — Homecoming parade, Main Street
    11 a.m. — Vandal Tailgate, ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center parking lot
    2 p.m. — Vandal Football vs. Portland State, ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center
    7 p.m. — Vandal Volleyball vs. Montana State, Memorial Gym

The VandalStore will offer a sliding-scale discount based on graduation year Friday through Sunday, Oct. 8-10, at Moscow and Boise locations, and free shipping for online orders with code VANDALCENTURY.

Traditional I-mum corsages can be ordered by calling Little Shop of Florals at 208-596-4444.

The full schedule of events and parade application are available at www.uidaho.edu/homecoming.