[Vandal] Seltzer Named Idaho Men's Basketball Assistant

robiegruss at aol.com robiegruss at aol.com
Wed Jul 8 10:23:26 PDT 2020

>From The Lewiston TribuneLewiston, IdahoWednesday, July 8, 2020
Seltzer Named Idaho Men's Basketball Assistant
The University of Idaho men’s basketball program announced the hiring Tuesday of Bennie Seltzer as an assistant coach.
Seltzer’s previous stop was an assistant at the University of Evansville, where he was the interim head coach for the final six games of the 2019-20. He was with the Purple Aces for one season.
“We are very happy to welcome Bennie Seltzer to the Idaho basketball program. We are fortunate to add someone of his coaching talent, but even more so due to the quality man that he is,” Idaho coach Zac Claus said. “Our staff and players will benefit from his wealth of knowledge, his positive energy for the game, and the class in which he carries himself. I know that I will lean on him daily as he impacts our program moving forward.”
His only other head coaching position was with Samford from 2012-14, where he led the Bulldogs to a 24-41 overall record and a 15-19 mark in the Southern Conference.
After a four-year collegiate career at Washington State in which he still holds the Pac-12 record for career assists, he played professionally for four seasons in Turkey, Venezuela, Poland and the Netherlands.
He began his coaching career as an assistant at Oklahoma under Kelvin Sampson. During his nine seasons as an assistant in Norman, Okla., the Sooners went to the NCAA tournament eight times. He also was an assistant at Marquette (2006-08) and Indiana (2008-12) before landing the job at Samford. After Samford, Seltzer landed assistant jobs at Loyola Chicago (2015-17) and with Washington State (2017-19) before heading to Evansville.
Seltzer and his wife, DicQues, have two sons, Diamond and Bennie III.