[Sbse] short, fat and straight

Dekay, R Mark mdekay at utk.edu
Tue May 25 08:46:44 PDT 2021

Jim,

In what climate?

How about….

A no-duct building
with all passive conditioning and if needed, radiant delivery.
Passive fresh air ventilation is also possible. Think trickle vents and an atrium, for example.
Or use air-flow windows (low-tech heat exchange) with stack-vent outlets. 50% efficient recovery. Stacks could be shared/ganged (like Eastgage Harare)
Or one could use an air-flow wall (similar to air-flow windows) as intake
Or the Danish/Swedish have worked on permeable wall systems with passive stack flow, where the whole wall is a low rate trickle system. I always though that had potential, but not sure if it got developed.
Much of this suggests a two-level apartment. See variations in SWL3rd (Cross-ventilated rooms) to get stack and solve for corridors a the same time.

Mark

> On May 24, 2021, at 10:16 PM, James H Wasley <jwasley at uwm.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi SBSE list serve,
>
> Amory Lovins famously talks about reducing the energy use of air and water distribution systems by focusing design on reducing friction- producing pipe and duct runs that are short, fat and straight.
>
> I'm looking for good case study buildings that illustrate this point. I'm hoping that they make the mechanical systems configuration an architectural question with a clear spatial logic- something that we see in the plan and section as distinctive and tied to net-zero as a goal.
>
> The question that set off the hunt involved how one would do fresh air ventilation and heat recovery in a Passive House high rise... all options seem to be taken by different published buildings- an HRV in every unit, an HRV on every floor, and completely centralized systems. Given that I will never teach the detailed design of any of this equipment, I'm looking for buildings that plant the question provocatively and case studies that might illustrate how design teams have wrestled with this goal.
>
> Much thanks, as always!
> Jim
>
> James Wasley, AIA, LEED-AP
> Professor, Department of Architecture
> University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
> P.O. Box 413
> Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
> phone- (414) 229-4045
> cell- (414) 306-1242

Mark DeKay, Professor, RA
School of Architecture, University of Tennessee
1715 Volunteer Blvd., Knoxville, TN 37996
mdekay at utk.edu

865-974-6056 (fax)  865-773-7177 (mob)

Academia.edu <https://utk.academia.edu/MarkDeKay> Profile and Publications <https://utk.academia.edu/MarkDeKay>

GreenVision Studio <https://greenvisionstudio.org/>

Sun, Wind & Light: architectural design strategies, 3rd ed. <http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Wind-Light-Architectural-Strategies/dp/0470945788/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394820741&sr=1-3&keywords=mark+dekay>

Integral Sustainable Design: transformative practices <http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781849713122/>