[Sbse] ASHRAE Lowdown Showdown Modeling Competition

Alexandra Rempel arempel at uoregon.edu
Sun May 9 14:28:37 PDT 2021

Hi Sue,
It’s great to hear your thoughts on this! I sure hope you’re right that natural ventilation will be a prominent strategy here, supplemented by ceiling fans, of course! Passive heating and cooling have not been as popular in the past few years as one might hope, but they’re gaining ground.

And no, I’m not aware of any ASHRAE strategy for calculating air speed reductions for screens and grills. We definitely need something like that!

Intriguingly, the teams are required to choose and defend their own indoor air temperature setpoints; in the past, the adaptive comfort zone has been used sporadically, and the air speed expansion to both standard and adaptive comfort zones has not been fully exploited. I’m hoping this program is an irresistible invitation to do that this year, though!

I would love copies of all of the papers you mention; thank you so much. I’ll look at the HVLS website, as well.

Have you thought about coaching a team for this? There’s plenty of time!
Take care, and thank you again so much for your input!
Alex

---
Alexandra Rempel, Ph.D., M.Arch.
Assistant Professor of Environmental Design
Environmental Studies Program
University of Oregon, Eugene OR  97403