[Sbse] Publishing question and Renewable Energy Topic

R Lorch richard at rlorch.net
Tue Apr 13 11:53:08 PDT 2021

Dorothy, all,

Three important questions every author should raise when selecting a publisher are:
1. What will the cost of the book be?  Will it be affordable for my intended audience?
2. What will you do actually market the book - i.e. tell people that it’s actually out there?
3. How will the publisher add value to your manuscript?

Some publishers will not commit to fixing a price for the book and they do not want to give you control over the price.  You must insist on a price and have the price specified in the contract. Otherwise, a publisher may set the price point well above what your audience can afford.  If you want to reach a student audience, then price is an important factor.

Some publishers do very little marketing these days. Most create a webpage with key facts about the book, but little more. A few publishers don't send out a printed copy for book reviews. (They will send e-books for review which saves them some costs - but this practice is not appropriate for someone spending a great deal of time effort reviewing a book.)  So you should ask what marketing the publisher will specifically do for your book and what the marketing budget is.

Most publishers will send out a book proposal (and sometimes a book chapter) to external reviewers and then make a judgement about the book proposal. But will the editor actually carefully read the submitted manuscript and give you detailed feedback?  That varies hugely between publishers as editors in large commercial publishers are under great pressure to publish a large number of books and have various metrics to fulfil.

Last, but not least, most large publishers have a few standard layout templates and book sizes.  Your book may be suited to one or more of those.  But the content of some books may require a specific size or layout, or need the drawings of buildings to be reproduced at the same scale. If that is the case, then a smaller publisher may be able to accommodate this.

I would agree with the comment that Amazon is difficult to work with and take a huge cut. A university press may be a better option.  Some university presses are now publishing open access (i.e. free) books in electronic form.

Over the years, I have been a book author, a book series editor and a book review editor.  So I have experienced these aspects from many different angles.

Richard Lorch
Editor in Chief, Buildings & Cities journal