[Sbse] Publishing question and Renewable Energy Topic

Randolph M. Fritz rmfritz3 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 17:40:13 PDT 2021

First, I will say that I, personally, am a very small publisher, who has
been keeping *Rendering with Radiance *in print for a while. If you want to
learn about publishing as a subject, I can suggest no better reference than
Marshall Lee's *Bookmaking <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wwnorton.com/books/Bookmaking/__;!!JYXjzlvb!wHOvFEgpOCVWuVRYUYC1_fsdr4PPrQerVipKSNa9mEKa-cALIP-Q4C4O7A-eKg$ >*. Good
university libraries should have copies.

I produce physical books and use Bookmobile's short-run digital printing
service and fulfill orders myself, since demand is small. Fulfillment is,
however, a considerable amount of work if you aren't set up to do it; if
you're expecting volume, hire someone to handle that job.

Second, beware of vanity publishing scams. There are firms that promise to
make your book famous and successful…if you pay them big bucks upfront.
These are scams. There are a lot of firms which are not outright scammers
but which charge considerable, and unless you're pretty sure your book is
going to be successful, they're probably best avoided. Remember Yog's law:
"In an honest publishing deal, money flows to the author." (I am, by the
way, cynical of Trunity's marketing, but I could be wrong. Talk to people
who actually do business with them and read their contracts and terms of
service. Be careful.)

For ebook self-publishing, there are two basic choices, Amazon and everyone
else. Amazon's contracts are awful, and even major publishing houses have
difficulty doing business with them, but people do make money publishing
through Amazon. Amazon has reach: everyone knows them and there are Kindles
all over the place.

A friend who self-publishes novels in ebook form is happy with Draft2Digital
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.draft2digital.com/__;!!JYXjzlvb!wHOvFEgpOCVWuVRYUYC1_fsdr4PPrQerVipKSNa9mEKa-cALIP-Q4C41ENaEzA$ >. They do epub format and are OK. They also
do on-demand printed books.

I am thinking about bringing out an ebook in PDF form, I have good reports
of Gumroad <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://gumroad.com/__;!!JYXjzlvb!wHOvFEgpOCVWuVRYUYC1_fsdr4PPrQerVipKSNa9mEKa-cALIP-Q4C7QSQG75A$ > for this purpose.

A word on software. Adobe's tools are expensive but – unless you are
packaging a book for conventional publication – you probably don't need
them. Serif's Affinity tools are much more modestly priced and work well.
If your goals are modest, you may not even need these design
tools; Draft2Digital accepts Word documents.

Anyone who has questions, feel free to email.
Randolph M. Fritz || rmfritz3 at gmail.com