[Sbse] Back up energy sources [was: embodied energy savings potential

Fred Tepfer ftepfer at uoregon.edu
Sun Apr 11 15:28:19 PDT 2021

Sue Roaf said:
" so where can we f[i]nd heat in an extreme blizzard, with the power out for a week?”

Norway requires all houses to have a secondary back-up heat system using a different energy source, usually wood, presumably so that people don’t die if the power goes out in winter.  Up here on the upper left edge of the US, we’ve ridden through several winter outages over the past forty years quite comfortably with our wood stove for heat and cooking.  It’s great if you think of it as glamping, not trying to “keep the lights on".  It also helps to be in an area with plentiful scrap wood.

That being said, we now also have a low-tech way to use our electric car’s battery to keep our refrigeration going for quite a number of days in an outage.  I’d love to pair that with solar, but our property is too shaded for it to make sense.

In an ideal world, our little dead-end street could be a microgrid that in an outage cuts itself off from the grid and has limited power from solar and/or wind, with either e-car or stationary battery storage.  The local utility has started talking about possible demonstration projects ...

Fred
 Fred Tepfer    |    fredtep at gmail.com    |    photax.wordpress.com