[Sbse] Climatic design in Arab world

Susan Roaf s.roaf at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 6 04:25:40 PDT 2021

Nina,

Excellent trail here. It begs the question of what is / are:

a) a thermally good building - the thermal performance is related to the
amount of energy it needs to keep people acceptably comfortable indoors

b) the limits being set in each rating system for thermally comfortable
conditions indoors?

c) An acceptable lifespan for a building? If you are measuring the
energy performance over time - can we agree a time over which it should
be measured so we can compare outputs.

d) Can we include a factor in such rating systems for the 'Pandemic
Preparedness' of a buildings - and how might one measure that? - is we
are really trying to define the vulnerability of structures to
environmental change - their 'sustainability' - or durability - as
investments for owners and users?

If anyone wants a pdf of my Closing the Loop: benchmarks for Sustainable
Buildings - email me - I maintain there that one cannot compare apples
and pears in a black box system in which the assumptions of the box
creator are not clear.   One might end up with solutions that push less
sustainable alternatives for instance - Heaven Forbid.

I would welcome any insights into the above questions.....  genuinely
interested in the answers from SBSE - as aye...

Sue