[Sbse] Climatic design in Arab world

Nina Baird, PhD nbaird at cmu.edu
Sun Apr 4 12:35:03 PDT 2021

Hi, Mark--

As one way of exploring this, I'd suggest looking at building rating
systems from the countries that interest you.  Have taught a course on
global bldg rating systems for more than a decade and have seen an
increasing number of countries write their own rating system which tend to
be better attuned to the climate, infrastructure, approach to construction,
culture, availability of resources, etc.  Even more recently, community
rating systems that include more of the UN SDGs (social justice,
participatory governance, economic equity) are emerging---similar to the
broader scope in LEED Cities & Communities.

As a start, the World Green Building Council has a webpage with links to
many rating systems in many countries.  Not all of them are "live" based on
a recent check, but it will be a start.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.worldgbc.org/rating-tools__;!!JYXjzlvb!18G8IA_lrB1ZIIphxpx_iXuYEyMvJLnwn5qFcKieytKdqYVR_fhbwzUPPuTv2g$

A couple of recent examples that I find interesting are GSAS (written for
Qatar originally I think but now applied more broadly), which has several
good ways to parse energy effectiveness in bldg design and GRIHA, one of
India's rating systems, that offers credits for passive envelope design,
achieving effective EUIs, incorporating water treatment/storage
infrastructure on site and managing organic waste on site.  I know India
isn't your focus; am simply offering this as an example of a recently
published update that seems well-designed for that country.  Singapore's
Green Mark system has an interesting approach to reducing the amount of
concrete used in construction and has created a metric, Concrete Usage
Index (CUI), that can provide a specific target in lowering carbon
emissions associated with concrete production.

I encourage my students to think of global rating systems as a buffet of
good ideas and to look closely at countries where certain resources are
limited since those countries *may *have to be more creative in their use
of water or energy, or their disposal of waste.  Hope this offers food for
thought.

Nina

--
Nina J. Baird, PhD, MSPH
Assistant Professor

*"Impossible dreams challenge us to rise above *
*who we are now to see if we can become*
*better versions of ourselves"*  E.Harrington