[Sbse] The Great Indoors: Environmental Quality, Health and Wellbeing in a Quarantining Society

J. Alstan Jakubiec alstan at jakubiec.net
Fri Sep 25 07:06:24 PDT 2020

Dear SBSE friends and colleagues,

Two very interesting recent exchanges on this mailing list ('COVID and
open windows' and 'Covid & buildings: both lives and livelihoods')
really got me to thinking about the extent to which we disagree about
IEQ, health, and disease transmission indoors. As a small response,
Bomani Khemet and I organized a panel session as part of this year's
lecture series at the University of Toronto Daniels Faculty of
Architecture... The Great Indoors: Environmental Quality, Health and
Wellbeing in a Quarantining Society
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.daniels.utoronto.ca/events/2020/10/01/great-indoors-environmental-quality-health-and-wellbeing-quarantining-society__;!!JYXjzlvb!x7zXc5gQhFIELqBWgKJJnmzM0m8vZf76--JPT-ihxM7hgsPanXBq8uO5Pzir_Q$ >.
Thanks to Susan Roaf, whom I have not met, for kicking off these
discussions and inadvertently pointing me towards one of the panelists.

Please join us on October 1st, 6:30pm EDT for five expert overviews and
a rousing followup panel discussion on disease transmission,
ventilation, thermal comfort, lighting, and environmental psychology
with a view towards health and wellbeing indoors during the trying times
of COVID-19. That's a long sentence, but all of the details can be found
at the link above or in the summary below.

I am collecting questions for the participants, so please let me know if
you want to help direct the conversation with a question!

      The Great Indoors: Environmental Quality, Health and Wellbeing in
      a Quarantining Society

        Thu, Oct 1 2020 – 6:30pm to 8:00pm EDT

      * Zoom registration
        <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/5716001851198/WN_XOgbJbvuSwqA7unzVWPcnA__;!!JYXjzlvb!x7zXc5gQhFIELqBWgKJJnmzM0m8vZf76--JPT-ihxM7hgsPanXBq8uMCYwSNdw$ >
      * Speaker / panelist bios and more information
        <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.daniels.utoronto.ca/events/2020/10/01/great-indoors-environmental-quality-health-and-wellbeing-quarantining-society__;!!JYXjzlvb!x7zXc5gQhFIELqBWgKJJnmzM0m8vZf76--JPT-ihxM7hgsPanXBq8uO5Pzir_Q$ >

    _Speakers_
    Kellie Chin (Workshop Architecture)
    Simon Coulombe (Wilfrid Laurier University)
    Steven Lockley (Brigham and Women’s Hospital & Harvard Medical School)
    Alejandra Menchaca (Thornton Tomasetti)
    Lidia Morawska (Queensland University of Technology)
    Manuel Riemer (Wilfrid Laurier University)

    _Moderated by_
    Bomani Khemet (Daniels Faculty)
    Alstan Jakubiec (Daniels Faculty)

I hope to see some of you there!

Warm regards,
Alstan

--
J. Alstan Jakubiec
Mobile: +1 416-666‑0951

Assistant Professor
University of Toronto
Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design /
The School of the Environment

DCC Lab <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://individual.utoronto.ca/c38c__;!!JYXjzlvb!x7zXc5gQhFIELqBWgKJJnmzM0m8vZf76--JPT-ihxM7hgsPanXBq8uOvdKmCaA$ > | Solemma <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://solemma.com__;!!JYXjzlvb!x7zXc5gQhFIELqBWgKJJnmzM0m8vZf76--JPT-ihxM7hgsPanXBq8uPkug-WlQ$ >