[Sbse] environmental chamber

Stefano Schiavon schiavon at berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 11 14:44:39 PDT 2020

Hi Michael,

environmental chambers come in very different forms and cost. It may
strongly depend on what you want to do with it.
For energy-related experiments, it would be ideal to be able to do an
energy balance. A couple of examples are the climatic chamber at UT Austin
build by Atila Novosalac and the Price industries hydronic chamber
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.priceindustries.com/content/uploads/assets/literature/brochures/price-research-center-north-flyer.pdf__;!!JYXjzlvb!3nusgpvMMTJiYt0pJR3Kp6_0kEArtJu0-xU4OGtwvjDYSuDXpIXz2GSez0NV5Q$ >.
For human thermal comfort research, you would like to be able to
independently control the air and mrt or at least keep them the same. An
example is the CBE climatic chamber described here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://escholarship.org/uc/item/0mn5485n__;!!JYXjzlvb!3nusgpvMMTJiYt0pJR3Kp6_0kEArtJu0-xU4OGtwvjDYSuDXpIXz2GSVIABtrw$ > or the ICEE/DTU chambers
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ib.byg.dtu.dk/english/research/facilities__;!!JYXjzlvb!3nusgpvMMTJiYt0pJR3Kp6_0kEArtJu0-xU4OGtwvjDYSuDXpIXz2GQr5lcATQ$ > (they have 7
climatic chambers and 4 field chambers) or the IEQ chambers at Syracuse
University
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://syracusecoe.syr.edu/what-we-offer/research-facilities/carrier-total-indoor-environmental-quality-lab/__;!!JYXjzlvb!3nusgpvMMTJiYt0pJR3Kp6_0kEArtJu0-xU4OGtwvjDYSuDXpIXz2GSviBFqIA$ >.
You also want a large range of control, for example, from 15  to 34 C and
RH from 10 to 90%.  For air quality research, you may need good emission
control and often stainless walls/floor/ceiling to avoid surface reactions.
We tried to design the SinBerBEST chambers
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://sinberbest.berkeley.edu/content-page/testbed-facilities__;!!JYXjzlvb!3nusgpvMMTJiYt0pJR3Kp6_0kEArtJu0-xU4OGtwvjDYSuDXpIXz2GTG6bA5xg$ > for
thermal comfort, lighting, and air quality research. You may have outdoor
chambers, like the LBNL/Flexlab 8 chambers <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://flexlab.lbl.gov/__;!!JYXjzlvb!3nusgpvMMTJiYt0pJR3Kp6_0kEArtJu0-xU4OGtwvjDYSuDXpIXz2GS40HiWOQ$ > or
the BCA Skylab
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.bcaa.edu.sg/who-we-are/learning-journeys/bca-skylab__;!!JYXjzlvb!3nusgpvMMTJiYt0pJR3Kp6_0kEArtJu0-xU4OGtwvjDYSuDXpIXz2GRLv1hH6Q$ >.

Hope this quick email helps.