[Sbse] Alternative to Safaira

James Erickson jperick1 at asu.edu
Fri Oct 2 11:52:46 PDT 2020

Stefano --

For a class with minimal 3D modeling skills, I have often used BeOpt (
beopt.nrel.gov/home) and/or HEED (https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.energy-design-tools.aud.ucla.edu/heed/__;!!JYXjzlvb!ygahx-AfIeOXYKMw2Tb1myjJRHsKtuH9AJr3_m2mHqe1Grgpw1lMUaDVsptTcA$ )
for simple, preliminary energy analysis and introducing the concept to
students and novice architects.

Unlike other options, these tools do not have any monetary obstacles to
their use (both are free) and are from reputable institutions.  Modeling in
these programs is simplistic, best for providing analysis of preliminary
residential forms however, there are abundant options for testing different
environmental, construction assemblies, orientation, and equipment
scenarios.  Enough to keep a class occupied and complete a range of
introductory assignments.  BeOpt can provide a means to test all of the
subjects you list for your class.

For an instructor and TAs, there is little time to set up files and
demonstrate the tools to a class.  Students can quickly start simulating
results and testing hypotheses within minutes of installing.  EnergyPlus is
used by BeOpt (not sure about HEED) as the simulation engine making the
program well suited for energy and resource usage analysis but limited on
daylighting.   Data visualization is limited to simplistic graphics
however, you can export an IDF file to be run in other software such as a
grasshopper HB/LB script or even EnergyPlus(!) and display output data in
your prefered data viewer.

BeOpt provides the means to run individual, parametric, and
optimization scenarios with little set up time.

Smita -- I was unaware of the EDGE software by the IFC.  Thank you for
bringing this tool to our attention.

Cheers -- James