[Sbse] Alternative to Safaira

Stefano Schiavon schiavon at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 2 09:26:16 PDT 2020

Hi All,

Gail and I teach an introduction to energy and environment for
undergraduate students. It is not a professional architectural program, and
~1/3 of the students do not have 3D software skills. Topics include climate
analysis, energy flows in buildings, thermal properties of building
materials, thermal comfort, solar shading, daylighting, passive heating and
cooling, indoor air quality, acoustics, and mechanical systems.

In the past, we used Safaira during lab time and for the final design
project to perform some simple energy estimations. We explored the effects
of building rotation, changes in the wall assembly, shading devices,
windows property, and infiltration rate). It seems that Safaira is not free
anymore. Do you know when this change happened and if exceptions are
allowed?

Do you have any suggestions for alternative software?

Best,
Stefano

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2GJDqawAAAAJ__;!!JYXjzlvb!xVdyUb6PPbqrkRbJYHDk8mRRXZa8QLno_3Wfqhj3o-X7TwhAuS2Rci1IzPgrPQ$ >
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.linkedin.com/in/stefanoschiavon/__;!!JYXjzlvb!xVdyUb6PPbqrkRbJYHDk8mRRXZa8QLno_3Wfqhj3o-X7TwhAuS2Rci36m1hquw$ >