[Sbse] [Bulk] Lou Kahn's 120th anniversary commemoration

Steve Kroeter kroeter at designersandbooks.com
Mon Dec 7 03:32:24 PST 2020

We hope you will join us in a special commemoration of the 120th anniversary of master architect Louis Kahn's birth.

Because of his practice, his teaching, and his theorizing about design, Lou was one of the most highly respected members of the 20th century design community.

For the occasion of this anniversary (February 20, 2021) we are re-issuing the first book ever published on Lou’s drawings and writing:

The Notebooks and Drawings of Louis I. Kahn

Created in 1962 by Richard Saul Wurman (founder of the TED conference), this elegant volume is distinguished by:
76 exquisitely reproduced travel and project drawings by Kahn (most full size)
Oversize: 11.25 inches by 15 inches by .5 inches
Four 3-page gatefolds
Gold-stamped linen covers and spine
Text of notebook entries edited by Kahn himself

Lou’s son, Nathaniel, director of the Academy Award-nominated film “My Architect: A Son’s Journey,” says Notebooks and Drawings "was the first book devoted to my father's art, and he loved it."

A companion reader’s guide will accompany the authorized facsimile, with extensive previously unpublished drawings, as well as essays from:
Richard Saul Wurman
All three of Kahn's children
Paul Goldberger
Jonathan Salk (son of Jonas)
Steven and Larry Korman (owners of the last Kahn residence completed during his life)
William Whitaker, director of the Kahn Archives

Interest in these two companion books, indicated by the accumulated signatures on this list<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://louisikahn.us4.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=a2562a025938d878158ef5edc&id=bffe136d97__;!!JYXjzlvb!3CDGrm-qObxPj1BRtAtPDPM80dnziY_V-l_Fm5vaeEIGg6ZFbexg7T7tizqMiw$ >, will determine if we are able to move forward with the publication plan. If you are able to add your name to the "interested" list, we would be immensely grateful.

The website with complete details of the project is here<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.louisikahn.com/__;!!JYXjzlvb!3CDGrm-qObxPj1BRtAtPDPM80dnziY_V-l_Fm5vaeEIGg6ZFbexg7T4KScIjgQ$ >.

If you are able to pass this invitation along to one or two of your colleagues, that would be extremely appreciated, too.

I can answer any questions you might have.

Steve

Steven W. Kroeter
Editor in Chief
Designers & Books
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.designersandbooks.com__;!!JYXjzlvb!3CDGrm-qObxPj1BRtAtPDPM80dnziY_V-l_Fm5vaeEIGg6ZFbexg7T4NVDuilQ$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.designersandbooks.com/blog/notebooks-and-drawings-of-louis-i-kahn-to-be-reissued-new-facsimile-edition__;!!JYXjzlvb!3CDGrm-qObxPj1BRtAtPDPM80dnziY_V-l_Fm5vaeEIGg6ZFbexg7T60EcL9Zg$ >
718-636-1345