[Sbse] global climate info

Dekay, R Mark mdekay at utk.edu
Mon Jan 21 12:21:56 PST 2019

Jim,

Good question. It is plants/biology vs. energy in buildings, more or less, and with little regard for daylighting in any of them. It would be nice to also have zones for daylight design that combine sky cover, illuminance and seasonal variability.

For cold climates, its basically just cooling degree days, and there are several “zones" where the IECC stops. I added extra colder zones for Canada and Alaska in Sun, Wind & Light, 3rd edition—with maps. That should be easy to replicate worldwide with CDD contour maps.

It was odd that Zone 1 (Miami) was as hot as it gets in the old IECC, since it is not even in the tropics. So now we get a zone Zero. I’m guessing that a zone -! or -2 might also make sense. In the tropics, elevation is quite important and changes the climate significantly, so even in a small country like Ecuador, the coast is hot, the Amazon is hot, but the Andean cities are cool all year.

IECC does not do much with composite climates, like Ahmedabad, India, which is like Phoenix in May but changes to weather like Miami when the monsoon comes.

I, too, would like a world map based on the “International” ECC. ASHRAE has a list of international cities in each zone, but often the moist/dry/maritime subcategory is missing.

The IES-VE Gaia software runs a typing analysis based on a climate file and puts a place into various systems, including IECC and Koppen. It also recommends strategies from Givoni and from SWL.

Then you have your ecozone/ecoregion maps, (https://www.fs.fed.us/rm/ecoregions/products/map-ecoregions-united-states/ <https://www.fs.fed.us/rm/ecoregions/products/map-ecoregions-united-states/>) which might suggest non-energy, non-climatic strategies about how to connect people to local or regional nature. Looks like you are in the #222 Eastern Broadleaf Forest ( Continental) Province, for what that’s worth (GIS maps available).

best,

Mark DeKay

> On Jan 20, 2019, at 9:52 PM, James H Wasley <jwasley at uwm.edu> wrote:
>
> SBSE'rs,
>
> A question that I should know the answer to but don't...
>
> I'm teaching a studio that will be looking at global precedents in a variety of climates. I would like to have apples to apples climate data around the planet- ideally maps that would line up with the standard IECC climate zone maps of the US. I'm not so much interested in simulation files but in a primarily visual understanding of how places compare... the question that needs to be answered is 'is this precedent appropriate?"
>
> I've become fascinated by Koeppen climate maps, as they seem to promise a global view that is perhaps more holistic in its classification of climates, perhaps getting you closer to identifying precedents sharing some deep place-based kinship. At the same time, the temperature regimes seem very broad and saying that Milwaukee is within the 'continental' climate range doesn't seem to be as helpful as saying that it is a 7000 HDD climate.
>
> Any wisdom or  sources to help either overlay these systems of classification or understand why that doesn't make sense appreciated!
>
> -Jim
>
> PS here's an interesting Koeppen animation of projected climate shifts
> http://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/shifts.htm <http://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/shifts.htm>
> World Maps of Köppen-Geiger climate classification <http://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/shifts.htm>
> koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at <http://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/>
> World Map of Köppen-Geiger climate classification updated. These zip-archives contain in each case one text file (ASCII text with CRLF line terminators) including the climate classification map on a regular 0.5 degree lat/lon grid for the determined period and determined IPPC emission scenario, multi model mean, respectively.
>

> James Wasley, AIA, LEED-AP
> Professor, Department of Architecture
> University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
> P.O. Box 413
> Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
> phone- (414) 229-4045
> cell- (414) 306-1242

Mark DeKay, Professor, RA
School of Architecture, University of Tennessee
1715 Volunteer Blvd., Knoxville, TN 37996
mdekay at utk.edu

865-974-6056 (fax)  865-773-7177 (mob)

Academia.edu <https://utk.academia.edu/MarkDeKay> Profile and Publications <https://utk.academia.edu/MarkDeKay>

GreenVision Studio <https://greenvisionstudio.org/>

Sun, Wind & Light: architectural design strategies, 3rd ed. <http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Wind-Light-Architectural-Strategies/dp/0470945788/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394820741&sr=1-3&keywords=mark+dekay>

Integral Sustainable Design: transformative practices <http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781849713122/>