[Sbse] SBSE Digest, Vol 136, Issue 15

R Lorch richard at rlorch.net
Mon Feb 25 13:24:28 PST 2019

Hi Rupesh,

Thanks for sharing this - it’s a fascinating project.

About 50 years ago, there was a project using disposable glass beer bottles to build houses as an alternative to bricks.  The glass beer  bottles were re-designed to be interlocked together.  I believe it was an experiment that Heineken beer was involved in.  Architectural writer and critic Martin Pawley was reignited interest in the project with his book in 1975(?) entitled Garbage Housing.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/when-heineken-bottles-were-square-62138490/ <https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/when-heineken-bottles-were-square-62138490/>

https://inhabitat.com/heineken-wobo-the-brick-that-holds-beer/ <https://inhabitat.com/heineken-wobo-the-brick-that-holds-beer/>

It’s certainly time to revisit (and update) these ideas.

My questions for you are: What is the durability of PET bottles?  How will UV, freeze-thaw cycles and other environmental factors affect its durability?  Are you planning to build a house and monitor it during occupation?

Kind regards,
Richard