[Sbse] Faculty Position in STRUCTURES: USC School of Architecture

Douglas Noble dnoble at usc.edu
Tue Oct 9 14:58:52 PDT 2018

SBSE Colleagues,

The USC School of Architecture is searching for a tenured or tenure-track faculty member in STRUCTURES (assistant, associate or full professor).  You all know how much I love this School, and that USC has a wonderful building science group. I am honored to be part of this team, and we get outstanding students (undergraduate and graduate).  We need someone in structures to join our amazing Trojan Family.

For brevity, I will include just one paragraph from the posting, and the link to the full posting.

https://usccareers.usc.edu/job/los-angeles/tenured-or-tenure-track-faculty-position-in-structures-and-building-science/1209/9586569

The University of Southern California School of Architecture invites applications for a full-time, tenured or tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor in structures and building science. The appointment is expected to begin in August 2019. Candidates must have a strong record of recognized accomplishment in their field(s) and an active research/creative work profile that addresses contemporary needs within building science, architecture, and related disciplines. Applicants must have a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Candidates should include evidence of notable accomplishments in design and research to date, as well as evidence of effective teaching. The School seeks a faculty member who will bring unique perspectives on contemporary issues in building science and architecture through his or her research, creative work, and teaching. Candidates should have an established record or demonstrate exceptional promise of innovation in scholarship and/or creative work in building science.

BUILDING SCIENCE WEATHER REPORT:

The tempurature today in Los Angeles is a beautiful 77 degrees, falling to 62 degrees overnight. Humidity ranged from 27% to 55%.  The 15-day forecast shows essentially the same thing.  This is great if you live here, but problematic when you are trying to each students about the importance of building enclosures and saving energy.  It can be tough to convice students that environmental controls are crucial under these conditions. There is good news for structures faculty: an earthquake could happen at any moment, and they are frequent enough that our students will pay attention during the lateral loads portions of your classes.

Doug Noble